29 TikTok Stats to Know in 2021
If you happen to really feel just like the app TikTok got here out of nowhere, you are not unsuitable.
Since launching in early 2018, TikTok’s been coated by seemingly each main information publication and racked up tens of millions of downloads globally.
Regardless of TikTok’s main early success, the app nonetheless seems like a little bit of a thriller, particularly to entrepreneurs. In truth, till lately, its dad or mum firm, ByteDance, hasn’t disclosed many metrics in any respect.
In TikTok’s first yr, all we actually knew was that an odd-ball video app was going viral, topping international app retailer charts, and gaining an enormous fanbase from Gen-Z.
However now, shortly after TikTok’s first birthday, we all know much more about it as websites like Digiday, AdWeek, and our own Marketing Blog usually cowl it.
Even if you happen to nonetheless aren’t fairly positive what TikTok is, you have in all probability seen a video meme on social media that was created and printed within the app first. This is one for instance of a TikTok submit which went viral on Twitter:
Now THIS is a tiktok I may watch all day pic.twitter.com/u1dBkH2OAa
— 🌸 Alexandra Daniels 🌸 (@alexdanielsxo) July 11, 2019
When making choices about your social technique, you are in all probability extra inquisitive about numbers than virality as proof of an app’s endurance.
As somebody who’s gotten sucked into the app, blogged a number of instances about it, hearted a whole bunch of posts, and even made a couple of embarrassingly mature movies of my very own, I am pretty sure that this platform will stick round for fairly a while. However, fortunately, with mounting information on TikTok, you do not simply should take my phrase for it.
That can assist you make knowledgeable choices about your technique and whether or not TikTok is correct in your model, I’ve compiled an inventory of 28 attention-grabbing stats and information to know earlier than venturing on to the app.
29 TikTok Stats to Know in 2021
Userbase, Downloads, and Development
Inside TikTok’s first yr, it reportedly reached 500 million monthly active users. Questioning if this was only a fluke or a viral development that can simmer down? Suppose once more. In line with TikTok and its firm heads, the viewers could be bigger and extra promising than we predict.
- In September 2021, TikTok celebrated reaching 1 billion month-to-month lively customers. (TikTok)
- Musical.ly, a lip-syncing app which ByteDance purchased and merged with TikTok, reportedly had 100 million month-to-month lively customers when it was bought by TikTok in 2018. (The Verge)
- Douyin, TikTok’s unique standalone app in China, had 300 million customers on the time Musical.ly merged with TikTok. (The Verge)
- In 2020, TikTok was probably the most downloaded app globally (850 million downloads), adopted by WhatsApp, Fb, and Instagram. (Apptopia)
- TikTok is the High Free App within the Leisure part of the Apple App Retailer. (Apple App Store)
Whereas TikTok’s consumer base is dominated by Gen-Z in the United States, many millennials have adopted it all over the world.
And, though it’d really feel like TikTok is big within the U.S., the app’s largest viewers really comes from China, the place the platform known as Douyin.
This is a breakdown of TikTok’s main demographic stats.
- 35% of TikTok’s international viewers is between the ages of 19 and 29, and 28% is underneath 18. (Business of Apps)
- As of December 2020, TikTok has 69.5 million month-to-month lively customers in america. (Statista)
- As of April 2021, 48% of U.S. adults between 18-29 use TikTok, in comparison with 20% of adults between 30-49 and 14% amongst 50-64 yr olds. (Pew Research Center)
- One-quarter of Individuals between 12 and 34 have used TikTok in comparison with 3% of adults aged 35+. (MarketingCharts)
- 51% of worldwide TikTok customers are male and 49% are feminine. (Hootsuite)
- TikTok is now obtainable in additional than 200 nations. (Oberlo)
- Over 22.2 million of TikTok’s month-to-month lively customers are in Indonesia. (Statista)
TikTok is a fast-paced app. The second you log in, you see a video at the top of a feed that is algorithmically curated round your pursuits. If you happen to benefit from the video you are watching, you possibly can follow, comment, and like the content directly from the video post. If you happen to’re not loving what you see, you possibly can hold swiping in an upward movement to right away see more unusual movies.
From my very own expertise, I’ve discovered that TikTok can simply trigger you to spend extra time than anticipated watching an countless stream of typically comedic movies. Since these movies are normally between 15 seconds and one minute, it makes the app preferrred for individuals who want fast leisure on their morning commute or after they’re bored at house.
Due to TikTok’s fast tempo and leisure issue, the stats under aren’t that stunning:
- The common consumer spends 89 minutes per day on the app, based on a leaked deck from TikTok. (Music Business Worldwide)
- As of September 2021, there are 14.43 million every day lively customers utilizing the TikTok Android App and the typical consumer spends 12.3 hours monthly utilizing it. (Statista, HootSuite)
- TikTok is among the most downloaded apps within the Google Play Retailer. (Statista)
- Youthful customers aged 4-15 spend a mean of 80 minutes per day on the app. (Qustodio)
- In line with a leaked TikTok deck, the typical consumer opens the app 19 instances per day. (Music Business Worldwide)
- There are 30.8 million international DAU on the TikTok iOS app as of September 2021. (Statista)
- TikTok customers on Android now spend extra time watching content material on the app than they do on YouTube. (App Annie)
Viral Traits and Influencers on TikTok
Like YouTube, Vine, Instagram, in addition to different previous and current video apps, TikTok has opened doorways for influencers, comedians, meme creators, and even some manufacturers. Whereas it is nonetheless a bit too early to see how profitable its influencers and developments can be in the long term, listed below are a couple of attention-grabbing tidbits:
- Essentially the most adopted creator on TikTok is dancer Charli D’amelio with 123.5 million followers. Following shut behind is Khabane Lame with 115 million. (Wikipedia)
- One of many earliest branded hashtag challenges was Guess’ #InMyDenim challenge. In line with TikTok, movies marked with this hashtag have obtained a grand whole of 38.8 million views. (TikTok)
- Rapper Lil Nas X credit the success of his track “Outdated City Street” to TikTok. The track was propelled to #1 on the Billboard High 100 in 2019 after the artist uploaded it to TikTok. (BuzzFeed News)
This is a compilation of TikTok’s #CowboyChallenge the place individuals carrying regular clothes minimize to themselves in cowboy costumes to the track “Outdated City Street.”
Enterprise, Income, and Competitors
The launch of TikTok not solely put its dad or mum firm, ByteDance, on the map, however it additionally resulted in competitors from apps like Fb, which launched a really comparable app referred to as Lasso shortly after TikTok went viral. Whereas TikTok and ByteDance are much less clear about income and different main particulars, here is what we all know:
- TikTok now presents 5 promoting tiers geared toward huge manufacturers. Certainly one of which, a branded hashtag problem, reportedly prices $150,000 per day. (TikTok Pitch Deck Notes First Reported by Digiday)
- TikTok generated an estimated 1.9 billion in income in 2020. (Business of Apps)
- In October 2020, TikTok made $115 million on in-app purchases from customers. (Sensor Tower)
- TikTok has a 4.9-star score within the Apple App Retailer and 4.4 within the Google Play Retailer. (Apple App Store, Google Play Store)
- Bytedance, TikTok’s dad or mum firm is valued at $75 million, making it the world’s Most worthy startup. (CBInsights)
The Mysteries of TikTok
Though TikTok is a high social platform and is ramping up its choices for advertisers, it is nonetheless slightly new. When an organization or startup is new, it is not unusual for management to cover early numbers, even when a model is profitable. In truth, we have seen this with different main firms like Snapchat and Netflix.
Regardless of the launch of TikTok For Business in mid 2020, there’s nonetheless much more to study as TikTok’s international groups and ByteDance proceed to stay hush-hush about main metrics. Within the coming years, as TikTok continues to attract in additional advertisers, it wouldn’t be stunning if we began to see extra clear details about the app and its consumer base.
The place to Discover TikTok Stats
Within the meantime, If you wish to study extra about TikTok, you possibly can learn up on its short history and early success in this post, or click here to find a how-to guide for utilizing the app. As well as, you possibly can uncover essential TikTok information app on varied web sites:
Need to see what different companies are doing on TikTok? Take a look at this roundup of manufacturers on TikTok.